Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Root veggie study session

Well, my first two weeks cooking on the farm have been very interesting. For our meals, we try to eat from the farm as much as possible. During the early part of the growing season, before there is very much harvesting going on, this means eating lots of storage crops from last season. I had expected that this would mean lots of potatoes, winter squash, and maybe some rutabaga. Actually, I am amazed at the wide variety of veggies that Harmony Valley grows and stores for the winter. Besides the expected potatoes, we have several kinds of radishes, beets, carrots, cabbage, onions, garlic, turnips, celeriac, parsley root, parsnips, and newly harvested sunchokes and burdock. Wow. With all of these root veggies around, it can be a little daunting for a new chef trying to remember what's what. I have, on several occasions now, mistaken beets for radishes and radishes for turnips. Although, in my defense, those beauty heart radishes are huge. Like no radishes I've seen before. And those chioggia beets are very exotic looking. Nothing like the predicatable red and brown beets I am used to.
But I'm learning! That's why I am here. So, I have decided that I would benefit from a set of root veggie flash cards. If anyone knows where I can get these, please let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Veggie flash cards. What a great idea! Sell them to the schools! As I write I am making that quinoa salad from the OMG it smells so good in here section of the show. No ramps yet, but I do have chives in my garden. I'm looking forward to lots of your recipes this season.

Pam

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the confetti salad recipe! We've made it twice since last Saturday's market. I'd forgotton how good ramps taste after a long winter. We also made a baked breakfast casserole - layer sliced potatoes, cooked sausage, chopped ramps, cover with beaten eggs and milk, top with cheddar. yum! We're anxiously awaiting the nettles for soup - a springtime tradition at our house.
Thanks!

Marie & Charlie